Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Beach to the Beacon 10k Report

Friday afternoon, Hubby, Little Miss and I loaded up the minivan for our weekend getaway to Maine so I could participate with 5,000 others in the TD Banknorth Beach to the Beacon. The ride up wasn't as dreadful as I had envisioned as we enjoyed some shopping in Kittery outlets to break up the ride. Then it was onward to the race expo to pick up my packet and to the campsite to get ready for bed.
I've been training hard for the MCM so I was curious to see if it was going to pay off in in the 10k. I went to bed early and even abstained from having a local microbrew, the Shipyard Summer Ale and chanted in my head that I was in training!! I had my race bag packed, my racing outfit laid out which included my new Running Skirt that I got for Mother's Day and my new IPod Nano that I got for being such a good girl.
At the race start there was a buzz in the air. There were plenty of people around so many in fact that I couldn't get up any where near to the start and had to line up closer to the walkers which I knew was going to call for a lot of weaving in the first couple of miles (one of the reasons I like my smaller, yokel local races). I found my old running partner John that had recent knee surgery... We talked race strategy and upcoming races and then we were off.
Mile 1 and 2 were just as I predicted- felt slow and like I was exerting way too much energy trying not to trip on some and pass others but I was feeling my music and the scenery too much to care. At Mile 3 we ran under too ladder trucks holding the American Flag and just as I went under U2 Beautiful Day came on and I couldn't help get a chill. Then we were running through the center of town and the cow bells were ringing and I thought this is why I do this- It is fun!!! I hate to admit it but I was having fun and my my mile 3 split was a sub 8! With half the race behind me I knew I could come in with a PR and kept the pace steady. I powered up the last miles hills and crossed the finish line with a huge grin! After finding the fam, having some pics of my skirt we headed down to the beach for a relaxing day of digging holes, jumping waves and lots of sun.
On a side note I loved my new IPod and the 10k mix I created was perfect getting me through the different spots on the course. It's about 52-54 minutes of music.
Clocks Coldplay
Naked The Goo Goo Dolls
In the End Linkin Park
Naughty Girl Beyoncé
Ii seen different days DJ Icey/Jen Lasher
Typical Situation Dave Matthews Band
Beautiful Day U2
Too Funky George Michael
Vertigo U2
Discotheque U2
LET'S GET RETARDED Black Eyed Peas
Sex Machine James Brown

Comments:
That sounds like a perfect race getaway. Good for you doing so well. I love your 10K mix too. Beautiful Day is my ride-to-the-race anthem.
 
Sounds like had a very uneventful race!
 
Where are the photos of the skirt?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?