Saturday, October 08, 2005

Blame It On the Rain











First of all, WAY TO GO DIANNA AND APRIL ANNE!!! You two surely rocked Hartford with your marathon greatness! Susan, you rock for going the distance!! Sarah, where'd ya go? And what happened to the cookies?!

Ok, now my race report before I go to bed...

Fabulous carb-loading feast with the CT RBF. Lots of pasta, water, laughs and an embarrassed Susan. After dinner we all got to enjoy one of Sarah's famous Montana Monster Cookies and bid goodnight to one another.


5:30 am wake to sound of pouring rain. Grumble a bit about having to run in the pouring rain. Follow long run morning ritual. Can't find visor, can't find pouch to hold my gummy bears. Grumble, Grumble.
6:30 arrive at the Orange Hat Homestead. More grumbling about the pouring rain. Running Chick hooks me up with visor.
6:45 Depart for Hartford, more grumbling.
7:25 ish arrive in Hartford lost AA, find AA and off to locate portopotties and baggage check in.
7:45 I arrive in line for the portopotties.
7:50 realize I'm never going to make it to the start if I wait in line. Decide that I will hold it and go on the course. Very risky move for me as anyone who knows me well will tell you about my incontinence problem. But I'm feeling up for adventure today, so I leave the line and head back to find Dianna and AA at the starting line when I drop my gummy bears in the mud!! More grumblings! Find Dianna and AA with their pace group.
8:00 some announcements and a garbled singing of the Nat'l Anthem and we are off and running. AA and I stayed together the first 3 miles. I felt great despite my soaking wet body and 20 lb shoes. I was right on pace until...
Mile 4 I decide it's do or die for the potty and it turned out to be the down fall to my PR. I waited way to long in line and lost a full 2 min. I tried to make up for the deficit over the next few miles feeling strong. I was unable to make up the difference and somewhere around mile 10 I started to get pretty down about the race. I had told myself on the way to Hartford that this day was really about being there for my running partners on their big day and that I wasn't concerned with my time. It's just a training run in my own marathon journey. Yeah, Right. I have been training hard, following my schedule and doing speed workouts!!! I should be running with ease and absolutely having a PR performance. So, I'll blame it on the rain! The official results are not out yet but according to my watch my splits were as follows:

Overall, the day was great fun. Seeing AA finish her first marathon was amazing. I couldn't be happier for her and proud to have been a part of her training. Watching Dianna break 4hrs was also pretty fantastic. All pictures will be posted soon but for now...


Comments:
I can't add up all those splits, but it still seems pretty damn fast to me. And under pretty tough conditions.

Congratulations on a good race. It looks to me that you're on track to smash your marathon PR.
 
great race michelle. thats a bummer about the potty break but what could you do.
you are so fast!
 
Excellent job! Congrats! :)
 
Nice race, Michelle! Wasn't the weather the pits?! And I'm sorry I had to bail on you guys after the race...I *wasn't* feeling well. I hope we can get together again soon...and I'm so happy that your husband will be home soon :-) Congrats again on a strong race!
 
That was a great race, Michelle and based on all the reports I'm seeing, the conditions were anything but ideal. Its tough enough to PR in good conditions but when you are made to run in a typhoon, that's a bit much. Looking at those splits, I'd say you were pretty much steady on the whole way.

You ran great, Michelle! Keep on moving, the full marathon awaits!
 
Whew, Michelle. Those splits seem great to me. You would have definitely kicked my butt! Keep your chin up, I think you are a great runner and chick!
 
Congrats, awesome run despite the weather inconvience.
 
I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you'd hoped but you trancsended rain, portajohn lines and muddy gummy bears to put in some terrific splits! Well done!!
 
Michelle, your splits were excellent. All things considered you should be plenty proud and pumped for how you'll do in the marathon; unless, of course, your training goes all to h*ll when hubby gets home in TWO weeks!! :)
 
well the results are online now - 9:00 min pace!!! (Oh yeah, and 34/167 in your division.)

congratulations!
 
You know how they say that if things go wrong during the dress rehearsal, then the actual performance will be a smashing success? That's what happened here!

Just wait til Disney!

I wonder how many people woke up and decided not to come to the race? But you were there! And you ran the race that was placed before you...You were strong and steady!

And, your smile was there to greet us at the finish!!

Onward Sister!
 
congratulations!!! you smoked that half! well done you! you're M is gunna be magically delicious!! ;)
 
Michelle - what an inspiration! I packed it in Saturday morning due to the rain. You piled it on and flew!
 
Hi again Michelle! I sent out an invitation to run about an eight miler from my house next Saturday morning at 6:30, it will promise to be picturesque and fun. Hope you can come. Let me know!
 
Congratulations! Even with the stupid port-o-let episode you still Rocked. Thanks for waiting for Di and I to finish. I would have been curled up in the heated van if I were you. :)
 
Congratulations! Too bad we couldn't pee on the fly like guys :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?